Monday, September 1, 2008

The Erhus Used in Beijing Olympics Closing Ceremony

I've found out more about the Erhus used in the closing ceremony of the Beijing Olympics:

- They're made by Shanghai Dunhuang

- A total of 60 Erhus were made for the performance

- The Erhu comes with a built in pickup

- The headstock is specially designed with a 'prosperity cloud'

- Because of the 'cloudy' headstock, the Erhu weighs a whopping 2.5kg

- The Erhu is fitted with a clip that hooks on to the belt that the performer wears so that she can prance around the stage with ease

- The Erhu is specially made by a team of 3-4 master Erhu makers including - Wang Gen Xing

- The Erhu is made of Aged Rosewood

- These Olympic Erhus took 3 months to manufacture and Shanghai Dunhuang will not be producing anymore of the same kind.

- Shanghai Dunhuang will be keep some of the Erhus as mementos and the rest will be put up for sale

Great, so they are selling them!

Well, I've enquired with them and apparently all the Erhus have been snapped up.

I'm being placed on the waiting and will only be allocated if someone fails to make payment for it.

I'll let you know if I get my hands on one.

But its mine......all mine.......

-------------------------------------------

By the way, I've just listed an interesting book on the origins of Chinese music.

It's quite a simple book written in a comic book format.

Click here for more information about the book.

3 comments:

  1. lol...hahahaha.good luck then(:

    ReplyDelete
  2. SW, since the erhu's are built in with pick up, how can I do the same with me erhu?

    Electric erhus are very dear and do not sound as nice as normal erhu. Surely there is a way somehow since China did it during Olympics?

    KG

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll let you know when I get my hands on them.

    SW

    ReplyDelete